Tuesday 1 March 2011

#11 I think I've finally found some perspective!

After such a really positive finish to 2010 and start to 2011 in Dublin I had a feeling this year would be the year I discovered where Andrew Leese wanted to go. Now I have always known I wanted to do something involving writing about sport but what exactly? I don't see myself a journalist, basically because the majority of the stuff they report on or write is crap and is never believable. Which is my number one pet hate about the whole media scene! How many people actually say it how it is? Too many people cover the basics, say what people 'want to hear' and point out the things people already know instead of going straight to the point, blunt and admitting the truth about the situation. It is almost like they are too many rules now and these rules have to put in place so they don't offend people or get in trouble.

Someone who comes to mind straight away for telling how it is, is Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson! He is your typical cockney who says things how they are, in his own style and he really does cut straight to the truth! He comes across as someone who really does not care what people say about him. Merson was in the studio for the League Cup final between Arsenal v Birmingham and once Arsenal bottled it and again failed on the big stage he did not try and defend the team he supports, he simply said it how it is!

"Don't go scouting around the French and Belgian leagues for young talent who you can get on the cheap and develop. Buy the real deal for £15 million and win the cup"

That is exactly what people outside of the public eye and many supporters who can face the truth would say! They say the truth hurts but I guess that is the point of the truth! Lies cover things up so you are protected and I guess what I am doing to myself at the moment is not facing the harsh truths and protecting myself from putting myself out there to get hurt if things don't go according to plan!

What I started to do with my blog was introduce different things, bring in new ideas and start with baby steps. That was before these last few weeks where whatever I started a few weeks ago I have abandoned, become complacent and thought the baby steps I started were enough. Now, with the push of someone who has experienced the same kind of rut I have experienced in the last few weeks I am starting to see the light at the 'imaginary' tunnel. Everybody has to learn how to walk before they can run and this is exactly the process I am going through! Baby steps eventually become steps and steps eventually become strides as long as you keep trying and working towards what you want.

What I have got to start doing more is 'telling how it is', stop hiding behind truths and pride myself on things I believe in. Sometimes it is necessary to bite your lip and say nothing, but more often than not the truth gets you further than lies, even if it does hurt that little bit more.

Now back to that journalism thing! What I am trying to create is the bases of a magazine, or instead of calling it a magazine, calling it a portfolio. A portfolio of ideas to try and find myself a place in the world! What I want do is learn how to make the idea in my head to something proper, something I can look at as a draft, print it out, scribble over it and start again to make it bigger and better.



I guess that's why the idea was called 'The Bubble' in the first place. Inside my head I live in a world that is full of ways to look at the world in my own unique way and now I'm finally finding ways to put the world in my head into the world I want to live in. If I'm going to do this I'm going to do it my way, not by following the rules of other people who are too scared to go against the norm, but by saying things how they are, by saying things the way it works instead The Bubble I live in! :)


The is a quote or a song lyric that I used to live by and need to start doing so again. A quote that I want tattooed on my left forearm so that when times are tough I can take inspiration from it and start from scratch!


"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when are foot prints on the moon"

No comments:

Post a Comment